Thursday, October 14, 2004

Jesus of Suburbia

Yes, long time, no blog. And I doubt anyone noticed. Where have I been? Spending too much damn time in Morehead, KY, a charming little town in the hills/mountains with 4 stoplights, 2 of which are at the interstate exit. My time there is now half-way gone. Oh well. It is nice to have weekends off though.

Anyone in the know can tell that I've been listening to too much Green Day from this title.

Wal-Mart has a lot of detractors, but it is an awesome place. Where else could I buy two propane bottles, a chisel set, and a package of ground beef? And not get funny looks or comments on that bizarre combination of products?

Fall has finally hit central Kentucky. This week almost every tree in our neighborhood changed into one pretty color or another. And the high today barely got over 60. I know Richard, you probably won't see 60 again for months.

So Keeneland is 1/3 of the way through the Fall Racing Meet. My parents came up last weekend for my birthday and to see their first horse races. Freak occurrence: my dad mentioned to a business contact that he was coming to Lexington for Keeneland and the guy invited us up to the owners' room to watch his horse run in the 3rd race of the day. That was unexpected, but very very cool. There we are betting a few dollars randomly on horses we know nothing about, while this guy bets a hundred at a time. Not to mention, if his horse had won its race, he would have made $25,000 in less than 2 minutes. It was an interesting perspective. The best thing though was going down while the trainer saddled the horse and gave the jockey advice. Very cool experience. It was like being in the movie Seabiscuit for 3 hours. The general admission seats will never feel the same again.