Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Warning: Depressing news ahead
From Heather:

Residency is getting better and better. I am halfway through my month of genetics and now everyone I see has some kind of disorder. I had a kid last week who came in for an ear check and now has a brain tumor which is probably inoperatable. So my week pretty much sucks right now. I guess it could be worse, I could be doing neurology :)
I did see my first "real" patient today for her two month check. She is doing great. She is an Alabama girl herself. Her mother grew up about thirty miles from where I grew up in Alabama. Her mom actually graduated from high school with my little brother's roommate. Small world, huh.
Brian is on call tonight. He is so happy to be doing neurology, but he is working really hard. The cats miss him, as do I. But I am finally realizing that I am not the only one who feels overwhelmed or alone or whatever all this stress of being a doctor for real is like. It has taken me some time to figure it all out. It helps to have a co-intern whose husband is a surgeon. He really is never at home. What eighty hour rule?
The paycheck doesn't hurt either. I got a bunch of new clothes last weekend and I am a happier person now. It never hurts to look good.
Sorry about the depressing entry, we have been slammed by a bunch of really heartbreaking stuff right now and I am trying to just deal with it all and find good in day to day stuff. It is so frustrating to sit there and tell a parent that we think your kid might have some horrible disease but we can't test for it and they should follow up with us in six months. Or worse asking a set of parents if they could be related to one another while there child is being removed from life support. Good times. Most of kids in clinic are healthy and doing well though so it will be fine.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info film editing classes

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home